Scientist - Antibodies
Designs and performs assays for Abgent’s research use only antibodies and related reagents. Augments assays run by Abgent’s Development team to best represent customer expectations and the quality and versatility of Abgent products.
- Sufficiently competent in the most common antibody applications to initiate and carry out projects related to the further development of new and existing products.
- Schedules and directs assays under the supervision of the Associate Director, Products.
- Incorporates experimental results into marketing campaigns including global websites, sales flyers, brochures, emails, and newsletters.
- Reviews application data for new and existing products to ensure product quality.
- Correctly analyzes scientific data with accuracy and precision.
- Assists with day-to-day lab management duties.
- Demonstrates scientific technical expertise in applications including western blotting, immunofluorescence, immunohistochemistry, and flow cytometry.
- Able to design and conduct experiments including sourcing of cells/tissues, maintenance of cell lines, design of appropriate controls, scheduling of core facility time, etc.
- Effectively communicates and defends science through written and verbal communication.
- Works with global marketing to best represent scientific results.
- Presents technical seminars and provides training on areas of technical expertise.
- Contributes independently to overall scientific rigor through objective laboratory investigation.
- Demonstrates proficiency in scientific theory and rigorous practical application in the completion of lab procedures.
- Conducts critical review of results and reports data to Marketing and Development.
- Independently initiates and carries out scientific development projects relating to the development of new assays.
- Effectively interacts with clients as required.
- Schedules lab work.
- Performs Research & Development activities as required.
- Maintains laboratory notebook and follows all general and laboratory SOPs.
- Communicates with supervisor and other colleagues re: daily lab activities.
- Weekend work (Saturdays or Sundays) will occasionally be required.
- Some travel may be required.
- Ph.D. with 2+ years relevant experience or M.S. degree with 3+ years relevant experience is required.
- Preferred major in Cell Biology or Biological Sciences
- Specialized training in laboratory techniques used in assigned laboratory is required.
- Ability to use judgment as dictated by complexity of situation.
- Ability to work under limited supervision and to handle problems of a more difficult nature.
- Ability to accomplish the described duties through the use of appropriate laboratory equipment (i.e. biohazard hood, centrifuge, incubator, and autoclave) and computer equipment and software. (i.e. Microsoft Word, Outlook).
- Ability to accurately and reproducibly perform arithmetic calculations including fractions, decimals and percentages and basic algebraic and geometric calculations.
- Ability to perform primarily sedentary physical work, lifting up to 50 pounds occasionally and/or a negligible amount of weight frequently or constantly, performing such activities as performing such activities as stooping, reaching, standing, walking, fingering, grasping, and repetitive motions.